JSPA seeking a part-time National Program Assistant

The Jewish Scholastic Press Association is seeking a part-time National Program Assistant to help it grow into a nationwide network of high school journalists and advisers who seek to acquire and use top journalism skills with a Jewish ethical perspective in mind.

The ideal candidate will have ambition, imagination and a feeling for high schoolers and high school, and both passion for and experience with real-world journalism both in print and online. Great people skills, excellent writing skills and affection for details are a must.

Experience with event planning is critical, familiarity with Jewish principles and practice is helpful, and it is imperative that you closely follow the news and think journalism is important, exciting, societally critical and needs to be done right — and that this deserves the attention of the best and the brightest of the coming generation. We are looking for someone who cares as much about the mission as the job description – someone for whom the why matters as much as the what.

About JSPA

JSPA is a national journalism education organization that teaches students top-level skills while looking at journalism through a Jewish lens. Its goals are to support the growth of student media at Jewish high schools, enhance journalism education in those schools, teach students and advisers how they can add Jewish content and sensibility to their publications, and convey a Jewish outlook on journalism to students in any school.

To advance these goals, JSPA hosts a high school Jewish news website, holds annual national conferences for students and advisers, and administers the Jewish Scholastic Journalism Awards.  We plan to expand our network of members, member schools and advisers through a summer training program and ongoing adviser mentorship throughout the school year.

Job Responsibilities

The National Program Assistant will report to the Executive Director, and will be responsible for the following:

• Promoting JSPA’s national convention, adviser workshops, contests and other activities to students, teachers, journalism advisers and other high school educational leaders around the U.S. and Canada
  • Outreach to maintain and grow the pipelines for JSPA membership, conference participation and contest submissions
  • Managing and updating our website, jspa.us, to add new content and build a stronger user experience, including uploading contest-winning articles and work published by member high schools
  • Updating JSPA’a website as needed with annual program registration, contest submission and payment information and portals
  • Helping find and cultivate journalism advisers in Jewish high schools around the U.S. and Canada. We currently work with 8-10 advisers and would like to double that number over the next year.
  • Keeping and managing a current mailing list of Jewish high schools, youth groups and their principals, advisers and/or journalism advisers
  • Planning and logistical assistance with two annual conferences, scheduled to be virtual in 2021 and potentially in New York and Los Angeles in 2022
  • Stewarding current grant relationships, maintaining a grants calendar for applications and reports, and identifying new grant prospects
  • Ensuring compliance with 501(c)3 nonprofit requirements including tax filings and grant reports

QUALIFICATIONS:

JSPA is seeking candidates who excel in writing and project management; are familiar with journalism and today’s media landscape; are fluent in website management, and have some experience working with high school students.

You should have:

• Writing that demonstrates accuracy, clarity, proper grammar and usage and attention to the reader
  • Strong skills in website user experience and operation
  • Some experience in event planning, outreach and logistics
  • A demonstrated ability to get things done, including logistics and attention to detail
  • Strong people skills
  • Demonstrated ability to take direction and work in an environment where everyone is trying to improve

Experience in high school or college journalism — or both – is beneficial.

Familiarity with Jewish religious values, traditions, calendar, thought and texts is helpful.

This is an hourly position. Hourly wages will be $16 – $20 per hour, depending on experience, for two days (16 hours) per week.

HOW TO APPLY:

Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to [email protected].

JSPA is an equal opportunity, committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all, and employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, disability, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran or military service member status, familial status, marital status or any other category protected by law. We highly encourage individuals from marginalized groups of any kind to apply.